Conect Psr E443 with other Keyboard

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Adair

Conect Psr E443 with other Keyboard

Unread post by Adair » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:30 pm

I bought the Psr E443 recently but it has a small (big) problem because the Midi To Host connection to interconnect another Keypad made it difficult because the Midi output is of those square and there is no midi cable with this plug. You would have to use a notebook to bridge the gap between one keyboard and another. I also use the Yamaha QY100 module which is also with the old round Midi inputs. Someone there would have a suggestion ... thank you very much

adair.al@gmail.com

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Re: Conect Psr E443 with other Keyboard

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:12 am

The only way I know to connect the PSR-E443 with another keyboard is to use a computer or other device (laptop or tablet) as a go-between, since the PSR-E443 needs Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver to handle the communication. If the other keyboard or sound module has MIDI ports but no USB-MIDI port then you'll need to use a USB-MIDI interface to connect it to the computer.
Michael Rideout
Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:07 pm

This might help: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml

EDIT: The PSR-E443 is supposed to be class-compliant, so it should work with this. It should allow you to connect your PSR-E443 to your sound module without having to go through a computer. I haven't ever used one of these, but I'm strongly tempted to buy one myself! :)
Michael Rideout

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:41 pm

The USB interface doesn't work in the same way as the MIDI interface.

With MIDI, provided that there is a working electrical connection MIDI out to MIDI in, then data is just transferred from the out socket whenever needed.
With USB, the device with the rounded socket asks the other end whether there is any USB data.
Then the MIDI device with rectangular USB socket has to encapsulate the MIDI data into a USB data packet and transmit it.
The MIDI device can't just send data whenever it needs via USB. It has to be "polled", to use the correct term.
Ordinary MIDI devices don't have the processor and USB data communications protocols embedded within them.
That's why you need to go via an intermediate "controller".
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

SeaGtGruff
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:37 pm

John, the box I linked to is more than a simple interface; it's an actual "USB host" device that's specifically designed to eliminate the need for connecting two devices together via a computer or laptop. Although after reading your comment about how USB works, I guess the box must be a simple type of computing device. That explains why it costs so much, and why Kenton's web site mentions a firmware update for it. I'm strongly tempted to order one, if only to test it out so I'll be able to either recommend it to other people or warn them away from it. As for the things I'd use it for, I can already do them by going through my computer or laptop, so I don't have a burning need for it.
Michael Rideout

SysExJohn
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Michael,
Yes, I was responding really to the OP actually, :) but you're quite right, the box has some processor power in it, it doesn't need much, and handles the USB comms protocol as both an initiator and responder. But that's why it costs a bit, it's a tiny communications processor handling two way USB packet switching.
John.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5.

Return to “Yamaha PSR E443/E433/E423/E413/E403/E303/E203”