Page 8 of 9

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:15 am
by Miks
By looking at one of my pics (taken while 'servicing' my SY99) I just found out that my CPU is the PROM version:

download/file.php?id=409&mode=view

See lower right corner - it's a 6475328 type CPU...

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 pm
by shadowmask
Miks wrote:By looking at one of my pics (taken while 'servicing' my SY99) I just found out that my CPU is the PROM version:

download/file.php?id=409&mode=view

See lower right corner - it's a 6475328 type CPU...


More interestingly is that it is the CP10 version that I assumed to mean 10Mhz. Maybe the CP10 version is fine to use with the 24MHz xtal :)

Brian

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 pm
by Miks
Now that you mention it... blame it on my impaired sight... 8)

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 pm
by DrSynth
Miks,

Yes - that picture is definitely worth a thousand words, confirming the CP10 will work. Just waiting for Brian's CPU to arrive to test ... since it's burned from the dump of your CPU's code, optimism is high.

I've already confirmed the EPROM portion of the 1.57 firmware, so if Brian's burn of your data is confirmed -- it looks like we're a go without having to rely on the 'unicorn' CP12.

BTW - No, I can't read the masked version CPU

Manny

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 pm
by Miks
DrSynth wrote:Miks,

Yes - that picture is definitely worth a thousand words, confirming the CP10 will work. Just waiting for Brian's CPU to arrive to test ... since it's burned from the dump of your CPU's code, optimism is high.

I've already confirmed the EPROM portion of the 1.57 firmware, so if Brian's burn of your data is confirmed -- it looks like we're a go without having to rely on the 'unicorn' CP12.


I'll keep my finger crossed for you... 8)

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 am
by DrSynth
Gentlemen,

Awesome news, we have success! I received Brian's burn of Mik's CPU data to the HD6475328CP10 Chip, combined it with the EPROM data of Mik's that I burned & tested previously - and voila' - SY99 upgraded from 1.40 to 1.57 !

So as long as the CPU is socketed (PLCC84), any SY99 should be upgradeable all the way to 1.57. I think if the firmware is older than 1.40 you might want/have to do the other 3 EPROM's as well, but I believe Miks has that data as well.

Good job, mates!

Manny

PS Gonna keep bugging Musitronics for the 5MB expansion... that would be 10MB fully loaded with a WaveBlade !
PPS Brian, love the Datablade, replaced 6 MCD64 Cards.

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 am
by Derek
That's great news, and I am glad you achieved what you wanted. It shows what still can be done with this range of older synths with a bit of detective work.

I've been following this thread quietly as I dont have a need for this, but it has still been very interesting to follow. :)

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am
by Miks
DrSynth wrote:Gentlemen,
awesome news, we have success! I received Brian's burn of Mik's CPU data to the HD6475328CP10 Chip, combined it with the EPROM data of Mik's that I burned & tested previously - and voila' - SY99 upgraded from 1.40 to 1.57 !

WOOW - this IS indeed great news! (Y) ((i)) ((i))

Well done, Brian & Manny - great outcome! :D

...but I believe Miks has that data as well.

You're right - did you dare peeking onto my computer? :wink: 8)

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 am
by tux
So where can you get a functioning blank HD6475328CP10 chip from now?
Wasn't that the biggest obstacle, sourcing the chips?
I had little doubt that the upgrade would work with a correct blank chip, my understanding was that sourcing the chip was the problem.

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 pm
by shadowmask
DrSynth wrote:Gentlemen, awesome news, we have success! I received Brian's burn of Mik's CPU data to the HD6475328CP10 Chip, combined it with the EPROM data of Mik's that I burned & tested previously - and voila' - SY99 upgraded from 1.40 to 1.57 !

And to think I can going to toss those CPUs!

tux wrote:So where can you get a functioning blank HD6475328CP10 chip from now?

Mine came from Aliexpress a few years back. A recent search there came up with 4 vendors but the risk can be high.

This one can't even get the "H8" part correct - see photo :!:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-spo ... 39168.html

Brian

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:57 pm
by Sonus
Does anyone have the V1.30 sequencer ROM XJ616D00? viewtopic.php?t=190

Press and hold [VOICE] [INTERNAL] [1]

Main ROM ... Seq ROM ...

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:42 pm
by Miks
Jepp - wait a moment, I'll dig for it on my other computer - I'll be back! :wink:

Edit: took me a while to find it - but what's puzzling me is a text file saying IC 101 (Sequencer ROM) is Version 1.2 instead of 1.3 8O

Is there a way to find out what Sequencer ROM version really lives in my SY99? Perhaps via the built-in test program... :?:

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:51 pm
by DrSynth
The stuff I've been testing with I've been getting off eBay. Prices are all over the place, but if you just need one $50 (from a seemingly reliable vendor here in the states) is less than Yamaha charged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252332575349?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Manny

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 pm
by Miks
Sonus wrote:Does anyone have the V1.30 sequencer ROM XJ616D00? viewtopic.php?t=190

Press and hold [VOICE] [INTERNAL] [1]

Main ROM ... Seq ROM ...


Thanks Sonus - Main ROM is 1.57, Seq. ROM is 1.20 8O

Could it be the '1.30' is a typo...?

Re: Begging for ROMS

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 pm
by Sonus
Miks wrote:Could it be the '1.30' is a typo...?

http://www.sy99.com/19.html

XJ616B00 v1.10 1991-05-22
XJ616C00 v1.20 1991-06-22
XJ616D00 v1.30 .............