Just got my hands on a Roland FA-06!

Roland’s new FA series completely reimagines the music workstation, streamlining it for effortless real-time power, ultra-fast workflow, and maximum versatility.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

zpink

Re: Just got my hands on a Roland FA-06!

Unread post by zpink » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:28 pm

With the risk of sounding like a fan-boy here (which I admittedly am), doesn't the vast majority of us have our synths hooked up to a PC these days?
I personally don't mind the small but useful screen on my MOXF since I tend to do everything in the IMHO perfect editor.

Admittedly I'm a lot less experienced in keyboards than most people here, but to me the screen didn't matter the least when I made my choice.
The integration with my fav DAW however... ;-)

After listening around a lot, my choice was between the MOXF and the MX49, and apart from that it IS nice to have more (and better) sounds onboard and the sequencer (for the odd times when the PC isn't on), it was also the fact that the price difference wasn't that huge since I bought an ex-display MOXF and I would've had to splash out on a s/w editor for 50 quid if I had gone with the MX.

But as stated above, I'm a n00b on this and the last board I longed for and never got was the Korg X50! :oops:
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I think it comes down to individual priorities. Mine wasn't and never has been DAW integration because for one thing I would not be using the keyboard to control anything in the DAW and second, most times I just fire up the keyboard to play the piano and a few other sounds so navigation is a thing for me. Having a large screen helps a lot, although I will readily admit the MOXF screen, small as it is, does not hinder navigation of the sounds themselves.

I think there is no "right" keyboard. It's always going to be what suits us as individuals and as with the choice of music that we like, that is probably going to vary quite a bit.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

zpink

Unread post by zpink » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:35 pm

For me personally I suspect that the compromises they would have done when moving or dropping controls to fit the larger screen would have made me love it a fraction less. I also think some of the big colour screens are plain ugly.
Yep, what a dull world it would be if we were all the same! :-)
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below

Mr Stew

Unread post by Mr Stew » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi - on the FA06 when you sample a sound can you trigger it from a note on the keyboard or just the 16 pads?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:47 pm

Mr Stew wrote:Hi - on the FA06 when you sample a sound can you trigger it from a note on the keyboard or just the 16 pads?
I never actually sampled anything so can't say for sure but I can't see any reason why you would not be able to trigger samples from the keys. It would be a pretty poor sampling keyboard that didn't let you do that.
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Return to “Roland FA-06, 08 & Integra 7”