EX7 TG update

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

Garrog

EX7 TG update

Unread post by Garrog » Sun May 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi, Although I've just registered here I first had a look at the forum a few months ago and have since had a good look around for the files needed to update the TG chips on my EX7 (but without success), in order to solve a Performance related bug.

I see someone posted a couple of months ago similarly but I decided it was cleaner to start a new thread so hope that's ok.

Anyway, I tried updating my EX7 with chips burned to version 1.14/1.11, as helpfully linked by EX5_etc (http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... ies#p40919) but after installing these the EX would not start. After looking here and on EX5Tech I found that this combination would not be expected to work because while the OS build is common to both, the EX7 TG software is actually a different build to the EX5/R (the above linked TG files remaining applicable to these), as given on this post: http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... 2&t=001175.

Sorry that website doesn't allow for direct post links, but if you scroll to the bottom you will see that Yamaha advised this user (who had the exact same symptoms as I did) that the L/H references for the EX7 TG binaries are XT672204 & XT673204 (whereas EX5 references are XT350101 & XT351101, matching the post of EX5_etc mentioned above).

Given this information then, I wondered if anyone might know where I could get a copy of these files so I can burn them to chip and hopefully rid myself of all the bugs I can? I assume that Yamaha UK wouldn't give them to me if I asked (or not without charging a disproportionate sum)??

Many thanks - Gaz.

Garrog

Re: EX7 TG update

Unread post by Garrog » Wed May 27, 2015 10:40 am

I tried Yamaha UK anyway - they first wanted to look up the wanted chip No's (XT) and - as expected - confirmed that they have no record of any stocks in Germany and or Japan, with the database for the latter stating zero stock, no longer supplied.

The two people I spoke to seemed fairly certain it wouldn't be possible to obtain the source (binary) files directly from Yamaha either. It was suggested that I look on eBay and internet search for old stock (been there, done that!), or that they could be cloned from existing chips (which was re-assuring to have confirmed in person).

So, if anyone has an EX7 with up-to-date TG chips they would be willing to clone for me, or to extract the data from for cloning (the burning part of which I would arrange myself), please get in touch - I'm open to negotiation!

Even if you just have an up-to-date EX7 (TG version = 1.10, to the best of my knowledge) but wouldn't know where to start with the electronics, it would be great to hear from you and keep the discussion open - hopefully figuring something out for me and others (will->way). Aside from all that, I'd be keen to know whether it does actually fix the bug which is giving me so much grief! (Performance part portamento switch set fails to endure on save/load).

Thanks.

zeg

Unread post by zeg » Thu May 19, 2016 7:52 am

Garrog wrote:I tried Yamaha UK anyway - they first wanted to look up the wanted chip No's (XT) and - as expected - confirmed that they have no record of any stocks in Germany and or Japan, with the database for the latter stating zero stock, no longer supplied.

The two people I spoke to seemed fairly certain it wouldn't be possible to obtain the source (binary) files directly from Yamaha either. It was suggested that I look on eBay and internet search for old stock (been there, done that!), or that they could be cloned from existing chips (which was re-assuring to have confirmed in person).

So, if anyone has an EX7 with up-to-date TG chips they would be willing to clone for me, or to extract the data from for cloning (the burning part of which I would arrange myself), please get in touch - I'm open to negotiation!

Even if you just have an up-to-date EX7 (TG version = 1.10, to the best of my knowledge) but wouldn't know where to start with the electronics, it would be great to hear from you and keep the discussion open - hopefully figuring something out for me and others (will->way). Aside from all that, I'd be keen to know whether it does actually fix the bug which is giving me so much grief! (Performance part portamento switch set fails to endure on save/load).

Thanks.
Hello my friend,
Im wondering after a year of your post if you have find any solution to upgreat the EX7 because i want to upgrate and mine and nowere i cant find any of this yamaha chips.
regards,makis

Garrog

Unread post by Garrog » Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi Makis, absolutely nothing I'm afraid! I got the above partial upgrade chips through eBay, but it didn't solve the issues I was having with it. I have accepted that I will have to get rid of mine, when I can be bothered! Best of luck whatever you do with yours! G

talmic
France

Unread post by talmic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Hello,
I am in the same case as you, anything found, therefore I pass by again in version 1.01 for the tg Rom 1 2 and 1.03 for the Main Rom 1/2. Only here, by dismounting Eprom TG1 with an extractor, 2 legs of Ci broke and impossible to recover the contents of the chip. If somebody had the binary file of the version 1.01 of the TG1, that would save me.
In advance thank you.
Cordially
Michel
PS: sorry, not speaking English, it is a translation online.

Bonjour,
Je suis dans le même cas que vous, rien trouvé, donc je repasse en version 1.01 pour les tg Rom 1/ 2 et 1.03 pour les Main Rom 1/2. Seulement voila, en démontant l’Eprom TG1 avec un extracteur, 2 pattes du CI se sont cassées et impossible de récupérer le contenu de la puce. Si quelqu’un avait le fichier binaire de la version 1.01 de la TG1, cela me sauverait.
D’avance merci.
Cordialement
Michel
PS : désolé, ne parlant pas anglais, c’est une traduction en ligne.

talmic
France

Unread post by talmic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Good evening,
solved Problem. By using a wire of welding I succeeded in making contact with the pin 22 (VCC) and recovering the firmware. Pin 42 is not used. I have the firmwares 1.03 for the Main and 1.01 for the TG, if that can save somebody, I can provide them.
Cordially
Michel

Bonsoir,
Problème résolu. En utilisant un fil de soudure j'ai réussi à faire contact avec la pin 22(VCC) et à récupérer le firmware. La pin 42 n’est pas utilisée.
J'ai les firmwares 1.03 pour les Main et 1.01 pour les TG, si ça peut sauver quelqu'un, je peux les fournir.
Cordialement
Michel

jima
Cayman Islands

Unread post by jima » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:19 am

Good work, Michel. Is it possible that you could upload the files here?

Bon travail, Michel. Est-il possible que vous puissiez télécharger les fichiers ici?

James
Jim
Loves keyboards but so little time :(

talmic
France

Unread post by talmic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Hello,
No problem. Here the link:
https://mon-partage.fr/f/wRvNCQP8/
Cordially
Michel