Finally understood:Computer contra Workstation

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, Fozzer

purcell

Finally understood:Computer contra Workstation

Unread postby purcell » Fri May 19, 2017 1:56 am

I.. Finally understood:Computer contra Workstation

"... so Yamaha will probably not get a new Motif out, as my dealer told me.

The workstation features migrate into the mid-priced devices to make money again here. (2014 MOXF)
A new Motif would already be due soon - after the MOXF.

A workstation makes little sense nowadays and is not often used by computer users at all.
Korg is still the last major brand, which has recently invested in the large WS.

A workstation makes little sense today " - Software and computers are the winners!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: No new WORKSTATION from YAMAHA! The workstation is history. :roll:

As Saul and Derek have already mentioned: It is software and computer nowadays.

The MONTAGE is the very last WORKSTATION (AWM2 + FM) for ever!?

Strange feeling! Years of waiting for nothingness and nothingness again.
Absolutely false expectations! For years!

What comes after the workstation of YAMAHA and all the others?
Nothing at all?

A small MONTAGE X?...with a little black (modulation) knob and a small screen for +/- 1000/1500?

Excuse me! For all my false expectations of YAMAHA. I could not know all this.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Finally understood:Computer contra Workstation

Unread postby Saul » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 am

I think that pretty much sums up the current situation ((i))

Montage is not a workstation though and Yamaha never intended it to be one. It's a "performance synth"

For many musicians a controller and software are not on the most cost effective way to go but also the most versatile. You can literally do any sort of music with such a setup. Of course you can add sounds to most workstations, it's a LOT easier with a computer and software. The power you get from going down the computer/controller route has no equivalent in a stand-alone workstation.

Now, that is not to say there will be no workstations from Yamaha in the future. Like most things, keyboards have trends. The workstation concept may be currently going out of fashion but in all likelihood it will make a return. I seem to remember many years ago all the music mags were declaring the end of the workstation...then a few years later we had Motif, Kronos and the Fantom series from Roland. The idea comes and goes but each time it comes around we see a quantum leap in performance. The actual features may not be revolutionary but the processing power behind them make it seem so :)

So for now, get yourself an Akai Advance, Native Instruments S series or Alesis VX and along with the software that comes with them, you will have your "hypersynth" in software form :)
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby Derek » Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm

I think it is horses for courses.

Are you a slightly less technical musician, who wants a great workstation with integrated features that allows you to record and arrange on on the device a well? That will be a Kronos, sir, or similar from the other big vendors, noting that, as Saul says, the Montage is a performance synth, and Motif is being retired. Are you scared of trusting software on stage (noting that most systems we use on stage have a fair bit of software in them)

Or do you wish to have the ultimate in flexibility, and go down the VSTi route? This will not be integrated out of the box, you will need to put together yourself, you will probably have all sorts of compatibility problems, and more than a few issues along the way! But it will allow you to select the sound modules of your choice and add to as you wish. Live VST hosts like Cantabile give you an amazing amount of flexibility for running them (along with backing tracks, triggering sound samples, routing MIDI between sources and destinations, etc), and I know a number of musicians, who now gig with a few controllers and a PC only. I can even do small gigs with a light weight MIDI keyboard and an iPAD.

Me, I want the best of both worlds. I love my Kronos, and probably will never be parted from it (unless Korg make a better one), but when I look at my array of soft synths, the one thing that has held me back from making more effective use of them is replicating the sound on stage. To date, I have only used them in backing tracks where they are a sound layer and not something I have to play.

Not any more. I will be updating my live rig later this year to go for a small form factor PC that will sit in my 4U gigging rack that holds my line mixer, USB audio/MIDI interface, IEM transmitter and DMX driver. There will be no stopping me then in what VSTis I can use. I was putting them on my laptop I currently use for backing tracks, but it is three or four years old and not quite up to running more of the more resource intensive soft synths like UH-E Diva or some of the more comprehensive Omnisphere patches, so I decided to wait until I have some funds coming to update to a better processor, and one which can be embedded in the rack (connecting to a HDMI touch screen). Why wait? Once you've heard what Diva can do and sound like, you will not want to be without it! I have some bons shares maturing later in the year, and that will give me the funds to splash out and get it right the first time.

My final choice will be is what I replace my EX5 with. Will it be a Montage or similar, or will it be just a MIDI controller? I am undecided on that yet. A controller on its own will of course be much cheaper, it's a question of whether or not another workstation/performance synth can give me something else that is not covered by anything I am taking out in what I plan to do next. Or maybe I will look for something completely different to add in, such as a Roland V-Synth. We'll see.....

No matter what route you take, we have a fascinating array of options and choices.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com

purcell

Unread postby purcell » Fri May 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello Saul and Derek!
Thank you for your infos!

So YAMAHA sends me to another world... (That looks very smart ... optically)
"...get yourself an Akai Advance, Native Instruments S series or Alesis VX and along with the software that comes with them"

The NAMM 2018,19,20,21,22 = Everything without black and white keys from Yamaha to Roland etc.? Except for pianos.
No! Will some PSRs be improved? This is all that appears new with keys - from YAMAHA and the others.

Now I have to worry about the prices, pros and cons etc..
In an ANTI-YAMAHA world, like AKAI, Native Instruments etc.

Including Windows 10 etc. :roll:

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Saul » Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Sounds like some exciting times ahead there Derek :) Looking forward to hearing how that works out.

Personally IF I could afford it I would buy a Montage and make it the center hub of my home setup. However these days I am resigned to sitting in the cheap seats.

Its not all bad though. I have some gear sitting idle that I can move to a new home and fund either the Akai Advance, Alesis VX or perhaps the Native Instruments S49. I do like the VIP software that comes with both the Akai and Alesis and the way it seamlessly brings all your Vst's together into what is essentially one instrument. Native Instruments Komplete is a similar way to do it although a bit more expensive.

I don't really mind that Yamaha are not doing a workstation right now. There is plenty out there to keep us all busy :)
Saul
Site Admin
FREE Home Recording Training Video Course
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaForums
Follow Us On Facebook
Epiphone EJ-200CE/Taylor 114e ES2/Yamaha FG830/Roland Juno DS88/Pianoteq Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iPad Air 2/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 8/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors/Focusrite Scarlett2i2 2nd gen
Mac & PC Computer Repairs, Upgrades. Web Hosting, Installation and Design www.thegraphicscompany.uk

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby Derek » Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm lucky in that the gig income pays for a lot of toys - I stick it to one side, my sales of x.factory librarians is also a small stream of income that adds to it, and the occasional works bonus helps pays for the big ticket items, and one is about due..... I could only afford the Kronos in 2014 as a result of downsizing my van at the time, which released a bit of cash and a work bonus combined.

If you get the time, do take a look at Cantabile (via link above), it is a great tool for using your VSTs outside of a DAW, and is designed for live use with all sorts of flexibility that I keep discovering. If you are interested once I have finished the setting up of it for my Carreg Ddu project, I will describe how I am using it.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.com

Return to “Chill Out Room”